"The Shoe" in Southport, CT has been in business since 1934 and under the Fraser family ownership since 1957. Stop by for an ice cold craft beer (weekly rotating line up), one of our delicious charbroiled burgers or just to play some pool with friends! Don't miss our open mic and music performances every Monday night.
Owner: Jim Fraser
General Manager: Dean Lewis
The Horseshoe began life as a Blacksmith/Farrier shop on Pequot Avenue in the Southport section of Fairfield around 1916. It was owned and operated by Dr. Edward (Judge) Russell, "Horse-Shoer", until approximately 1934 and served many locals equestrian needs. Rumor has it that a bottle or two could be had way back in the stalls by request!
In 1934, the first restaurant opened on the site, continuing to serve many of the locals with its fine steak, seafood and libations. The Russell family continued in operation until 1948.
In 1948, the restaurant was purchased by businessman, Joe Coleman. He would operate the business for seven years. In 1955, another proprietor by the name of Bill Moser purchased the business and ran it until 1957.
In 1957, local milkman, James "Scotty" Fraser, was out on his route when he noticed something that helped him with a decision that he had been pondering for some time. You see, Scotty was about to purchase his first bar, but which one? South Norwalk or Southport? How to decide? Well, the object that Scotty noticed as he made his rounds was none other than a horseshoe propped up against the curb. We all know which bar he bought. Monthly rent, $300.
In 1974, Scotty's son Gordon began running the daily operations after being employed since the beginning. In 1980, Scotty's grandson Jim began working the bar part-time. Then in 1982, it became time for the second generation to take over. Gordon purchased the business and continued its operation.
Then in 1984, the building that now houses "The Shoe" and several other shops became available for sale. Although money was tight, Gordon knew that to continue in operation, the only way to truly succeed was to purchase that property.
In 2001, Jim bought the business and continues to run operations today. Although many years have passed, not much has changed. That is the way the "regulars" tell us they want it. So when the center wall came down in 1987, it was a big deal. Just more room for our five generations of customers!
Thanks for everything,